Black Bean and Quinoa Mason Jar Salad- make meal-prep easy and delicious with these on-the-go meals!
Meal prepping is one of my favorite scheduling hacks. I would much rather devote an afternoon to cooking than to break it down into a daily chore. Mason jar salads are delicious, healthy and perfect for on-the-go. They can be customized in many different ways and they’re a great way to take advantage of in-season produce. This recipe includes some of my vegan staples like black beans and sweet potatoes.
Black Bean and Quinoa Mason Jar Salad
2 cups sweet potatoes (cut into 1-2 inch chunks)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
1 15.5 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
For the salad:
2 cups red cabbage (shredded)
2 cups carrots (shredded)
2 cups kale (de-stemmed)
4 quart-sized mason jars
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh ginger
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sweet potatoes on the pan. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast until tender, about 18-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking in the oven, combine the quinoa and water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring it to a boil. Cover and lower the heat and allow the quinoa to cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the black beans up in a medium skillet with olive oil. Cook on low/medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- While the potatoes and quinoa are cooking, make the salad dressing. Whisk the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, honey, ginger, and mustard in a small bowl until blended.
- Allow the beans, quinoa and sweet potatoes to cool before assembling the jars. If they are hot, the vegetables will steam.
- Add the dressing to the bottom of the jar. Layer the cabbage, quinoa, carrots, black beans, sweet potatoes and finally, the kale. Sprinkle the top with pomegranate seeds.
Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to low/medium. Cook until all the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sweet potato and drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Cook the sweet potatoes for 18-20 minutes.
While the quinoa and sweet potatoes are cooking, whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
Pour the dressing into the bottom of each jar. Add the cabbage, quinoa, carrots, black beans, sweet potatoes and finally, the kale. Sprinkle the top with pomegranate seeds.
Store in the refrigerator and serve cold or heat up.
To serve: Give the jar a few shakes to spread the dressing around. Pour into a bowl and enjoy!
Looking for more Make-Ahead Vegan Recipes?
Dragonfruit Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
Easy Vegan Enchiladas
Easy Instant Pot Plant Based Quinoa Burrito Bowls