Vegan Hummingbird Bread- this lightened-up version of the classic is filled with pineapples, blueberries, and warm spices.Jump to Recipe
What is Hummingbird Cake?
Hummingbird cake is a banana and pineapple spice cake that originated in Jamaica. It’s been popular in the southern United States since the 1970s.
The original hummingbird cake is heavy on sugar, oil, eggs, and cream cheese. This bread version combines the great flavors of the cake with lightened-up ingredients.
KEEP IN TOUCH! FOR MORE INSPIRATION, PROJECTS, AND FREE KNITTING PATTERNS, SIGN UP FOR OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER:
Vegan Hummingbird Bread
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1/3 cup cashew butter
3/4 cup canned pineapple chunks (drained)
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
2/3 cup almond milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients.
In a high-powered blender or food processor, mix the pineapple chunks and bananas until smooth. Pour in a medium sized bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients (except the blueberries). Stir until combined. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in the blueberries.
Pour the mixture into the loaf pan.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Instead of the traditional cream cheese icing that goes on top of hummingbird cake, I chose a lighter version- non-dairy coconut yogurt. I topped it with coconut flakes and blueberries.
Vegan Hummingbird Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup canned pineapple chunks (drained)
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- (optional 1/2 cup of chopped pecans)
- non-dairy coconut yogurt
- coconut flakes
- fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, mix the pineapple chunks and bananas until smooth. Pour in a medium sized bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients (except the blueberries). Stir until combined. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Top with non-dairy coconut yogurt, coconut flakes and fresh blueberries.
Looking for more Vegan Bread Recipes?
I love seeing your finished projects! If you enjoyed making this Vegan Hummingbird Bread, or any of my other easy plant-based recipes, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, just tag me @ginamicheleblog. Happy baking!
Find even more Vegan goodness at my recipe blog- 10 Ingredient Vegan