Soft and Chewy Vegan Ginger Christmas Cookies- perfectly spiced with the wonderful flavors of the holidays. Dip in eggless royal icing and adorn with sprinkles for extra festive charm.
These vegan cookies combine the wonderful flavors of gingerbread with the soft and chewy texture of a cookie. They’re easy to make, even for baking novices!
Soft and Chewy Vegan Ginger Christmas Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the sugar and soften vegan butter until creamy. Add the molasses and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Pour in the flour, one cup at a time, mixing as you go. Add the baking soda, salt, and spices and mix to combine.
In a small bowl, add the sugar for rolling. Take approximately 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball using your hands. Roll the ball into the sugar and place on the baking sheet. The balls will spread as they cook, so be careful not to place them too close together.
Bake for 12 minutes or until they begin to crack on top. They will seem soft when you take them out of the oven but they will firm up as they cool.
These cookies are great as-is, but if you want to give them a holiday upgrade you can dip them in royal icing and decorate with sprinkles. I used this assortment of holiday sprinkles.
To make the vegan royal icing, beat the aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) with the powdered sugar. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Aim for a consistency that resembles syrup. If the icing is too thick, the cookies won’t dip properly. add the sprinkles while the icing is still wet.
- 1 cup vegan butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- sugar (for rolling)
- Optional (for the vegan royal icing)
- 5 tbsp aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using either a stand or hand mixer, beat the vegan butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add the molasses and vanilla extra and mix until combined. Add the flour one cup at a time, scooping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the baking soda, salt, and spices and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of white sugar. Take 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball using your hands. Roll the ball into the sugar. Make sure all the sides are covered.
- Place the ball of dough on the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the top of the cookie starts to crack. The cookies will seem soft, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Optional- dip half of the cookie in vegan royal icing and decorate with sprinkles.
- To make the royal icing- using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the aquafaba until it is light and frothy. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing as you go, You want the icing to be on the thinner side (like maple syrup) so the cookie will dip properly. Once the cookie is dipped, set it on a cooling rack to dry. Add sprinkles while the icing is still wet.
Looking for more Vegan Dessert Recipes?