Vegan Pumpkin Pie- a vegan take on a fall classic! Sweet and spiced with a custard-like filling.
It’s officially pumpkin spice season around here! What better way to enjoy these warm flavors than in a pumpkin pie? This vegan version is every bit as good as the traditional.
Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie
The filling for this pie is so delicious, you’ll be tempted to eat it from the bowl! The filling is a mixture of pumpkin puree, coconut milk, sugar, spices, and cornstarch. The pumpkin flavor and spices cover up any taste of the coconut. The coconut milk adds a wonderful, creamy texture to the filling.
If you want to shave time off this recipe, you can use a store-bought vegan pie crust.
Grease the pie plate and place the crust inside. I included directions for the star shaped cut outs in the recipe box and directions below. Cook the pie at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. The middle will still be jiggly. This is ok! It will firm up as it cools. Let the pie cool for 30 minutes and then transfer to the refrigerator for 4-5 hours. Make sure the pie is throughly firmed up before cutting.
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- vegan pie crust (store-bought or homemade- see directions below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate. add pie crust.
- Add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, sugar, spices, and cornstarch to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. The middle will still look jiggly. It will firm up in the fridge.
- Let pie cool for 30 minutes and then transfer to the refrigerator. Let cool for 4-5 hours before serving.
- Optional- the decorative stars are made using a small cookie cutter and excess dough. Cut the shapes out (make them slightly thicker than you would for a cookie) and bake them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Vegan Pie Crust
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tbsp vegan stitck butter
4 tbsp vegetable shortening
4 tbsp ice cold water
Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
Add the butter and shortening. Mix until it has a crumbly texture.
Drizzle in the ice water and when the mixture starts clumping, stop.
Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball.
Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
Roll the dough out and transfer to the pie plate.
I always have a hard time creating perfectly fluted pie crust edges. Want to know an easier way? Hide them! I always make extra dough so I can have enough to decorate the edges.
I add my pie crust to the dish, pour in the filling and then trim the crust with a knife so it comes approximately 1/2 inch above the filling.
Using a small cookie cutter, cut out the shapes and bake them on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Once the pie is cooked, line the edges with the cut outs.
Looking for more Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes?