Vegan Strawberry Icebox Pie- a delicious summertime dessert that makes the most of in-season strawberries! 15 minutes to prep and no baking!
This dessert is sure to be a hit at your next BBQ or picnic. No one will be able to guess that it's vegan!
The secret ingredient that gets the strawberry filling to bind together is agar agar. Agar Agar is a vegan alternative to gelatin. It's generally used to make It can be used to make jellies, puddings, and custards. It works much like regular gelatin- first, it's brought to a boil and then you let it simmer for a few minutes. Agar agar is made from red algae, but don't worry, there's no seaweed taste.
I usually make this pie the day before so it has ample time to set.
Vegan Strawberry Icebox Pie
Add the graham crackers to a food processor and process until they are finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until combined. Press the crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish.
Add the sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups strawberries, and agar agar to a medium saucepan. Gently mash the strawberries using a potato masher. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly. Add the remaining strawberries and stir.
Pour the mixture into the pie plate and put it in the refrigerator. The pie will set in 4-6 hours.
To make the whip cream- pour the non-dairy whipping cream in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread onto of the pie using a spatula.
- 18 graham crackers
- 6 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- 2 quarts strawberries (sliced)
- 2 ½ tablespoons agar agar
- 1 cup non-dairy whipping cream
- In a food processor, blend graham crackers until finely ground. Add butter and pulse.. Press mixture into the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups strawberries, and agar agar. Using a potato masher, gently mash strawberries. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes. Mixture should be very thick. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries.
- Pour into pie crust and put in refridgerator to set for 4-6 hours.
- To make the whipped cream- pour the non-dairy whipping cream into a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until still peaks form . Spread on top of pie.
Looking for more Vegan Dessert Recipes?