Vegan Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Trifle- a must-bake for your next BBQ!
Trifles are one of my favorite desserts! They're fun to make and they have a "wow" factor that's great for gatherings! This Strawberry Shortcake Trifle is both vegan and gluten-free (although you'd never know it!).
If strawberries are out of season, you can easily sub with raspberries and blueberries.
- For the Shortcake:
- 3 Cups gluten-free flour
- 1 Cup almond flour
- ¼ Cup coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tsp salt
- 4 Tsp baking powder
- ¼ Cup softened coconut oil
- ½ Cups full-fat coconut milk (the liquid part, not the cream)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Vegan butter (to brush on shortcakes)
- For the Whipped Cream:
- 4 cans of full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight- use only the cream part that separates from the liquid)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Also needed:
- 2lbs strawberries- hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry shortbread ingredients and add the coconut oil. Make sure it is thoroughly mixed so there are no clumps.
- In a small bowl, combine the liquid coconut milk and the apple cider vinegar. Stir into the dry ingredients.
- Transfer your dough onto a floured surface and form the dough into 1 inch disk. Use a drinking glass to cut a circular shape. The dough will make approximately 12 shortcakes.
- Brush the tops of the shortcakes with vegan butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 415 for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the whipped cream: scoop the cream part of the coconut milk out of the cans and into a large bowl. Add the maple syrup. Beat until the cream form peaks (3-5 minutes)
- To assemble the trifle: cust each shortbread into 6 sections. Layer shortbread on the bottom, then whipped cream. Add a layer of strawberries and repeat.
Vegan Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
This trifle may look complicated, but it's anything but! The first step is to make the shortbread. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the coconut oil and combine. Then add the "buttermilk" (a mixture of coconut milk and apple cider vinegar) and stir together. Form the dough into 1 inch thick disks using your hands. Then, cut circular shapes out using a narrow drinking glass. Cook the shortbread for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
To make the coconut whip cream: Refrigerate 4 cans of full-fat coconut milk for 24 hours. Scoop the cream part into a large bowl (leave the liquid). Add the maple syrup and beat with a hand mixer for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
Now comes the fun part- making the trifle! Cut each shortbread into 6 sections. Layer the shortbread at the bottom of the dish (use 6). Then, add half the whip cream and a layer of sliced strawberries. Add another layer of shortbread, whip cream, and strawberries. Refrigerate and when you are ready to serve let stand for 15 minutes.
Looking for more Vegan Dessert Recipes?