Easy Air Fryer Falafels- Instead of being deep-fried, these delicious, healthy falafels are cooked in the air fryer.
Falafels are one of my favorite foods. They’re packed with protein, but they don’t feel like a heavy meal. They’re great in a pita or tossed in with a salad.
This falafel mix can be kept covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just pop them in the air fryer when you’re ready to eat!
KEEP IN TOUCH! FOR MORE INSPIRATION, PROJECTS, AND FREE KNITTING PATTERNS, SIGN UP FOR OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER:
Easy Air Fryer Falafels
1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (drained and rinsed)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1/3 cup fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
1/4 cup scallions (roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
1 tsp baking powder
5 teaspoons all-purpose flour (or chickpea flour if gluten-free)
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup scallions (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour (or chickpea flour if gluten-free)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them using a paper towel.
- Add the onions and garlic to a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the parsley, cilantro, scallions, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Mix until blended, then add the chickpeas and pulse 2 to 3 times. It's ok if there are still whole chickpeas. You don't want to puree. Pour in the baking powder and the flour, and pulse a few more times.
- Transfer to a covered bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of mixture and form into a ball. If the mix is too wet, dust with more flour. Flatten the ball with your hands.
- Spray the air fryer pan with cooking oil and arrange the falafels so they are not touching or stacked. Cook at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Flip over and fry for an additional 7 minutes.
The first step is to drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Next, thoroughly pat them dry using paper towels. You want to remove as much moisture as possible from the chickpeas. If the chickpeas are too wet, your falafels will be soggy.
Add the onion and garlic to a food processor. Blend until finely chopped. Add the herbs (parsley, cilantro), cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend until combined.
Add the chickpeas and pulse a few times. You don’t want to blend them. It’s fine if there are whole chickpeas. Add the baking powder and flour and pulse a few more times.
Transfer the mix to a covered bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Scoop approximately 2 tablespoons of falafel dough into a ball and flatten with your hands. If the falafel mixture feels too wet, you can add more flour. Spray the air fryer basket with oil and arrange the falafel patties so they are not stacked or touching (work in batches if they all don’t fit).
Cook on 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Flip the falafels over and fry for an additional 7 minutes.
Serve with lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, pita bread, hummus or tahini sauce and lemon wedges.
Looking for more Easy Vegan Recipes like this air fryer falafel recipe?
For more Vegan goodness, please visit my recipe blog, 10 Ingredient Vegan.
I love seeing your finished projects! If you enjoyed making these Vegan Falafels or any of my other plant-based recipes, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, just tag me @ginamicheleblog. Happy cooking!