Instagram

Uncategorized

Layered Yarn Beanie Knitting Pattern

March 6, 2014

Recently my friend’s mother generously gave me a giant bag of yarn she wasn’t going to use. Included inside were a few balls of butterfly yarn. At first I wasn’t sure what to do with it- it wasn’t nearly substantial enough for a scarf or hat. I decided to layer it over some heavy yarn and make this fast (around 2 hours) and easy ribbed beanie.

Size US 13 knitting needles
Yarn- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick  (1 Skein)
Butterfly yarn (similar) (1 ball- 150 yards is plenty)
Layered Yarn Beanie Knitting Pattern:

Work both yarns at the same time
Cast on 48 stitches
Rows 1-26: Work 26 rows in k2, p2 Rib.
Row 27 (Dec Row): *K2, p2, k2, p2tog; rep from * across row  Row 28: *K1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 29 (Dec Row): *k2, p2tog, k2, p1; rep from * across row Row 30: *K1, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 31: *K1, k2tog; rep from * across row Cut yarn, leaving an 8 in. tail. Thread tail through stitches of last row and pull to secure. Use the tail to sew the side seam together.

Hanna K.
    March 8, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Fantastic!!!

KnittingMimi
    March 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Great idea to use the eyelash yarn with bulky to create a very pretty winter accessory!

gymeabee
    May 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Love the look of the beanie! How can I convert it Australian knitting needles -13US if how many mm.? What would be the equivalent ?

Carolyn F
    December 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Love the colors! I have been online now for 2 hours looking for them. Can you remember the color names for both?

Gina Michele
      December 13, 2014 at 12:01 am

Hi! The thick and quick was "Linen". I'm afraid the butterfly yarn was given to me without the sleeve so I don't know the brand or color. The ones on Etsy I linked to were the closest match I could find.

chickiesita
    December 13, 2014 at 2:16 am

Oh boy, I ordered the linen before you got back to me. I also ordered the butterfly yarn on Etsy. Thanks so much for answering my question.

Anonymous
    December 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm

This is a brilliant pattern, its quick and easy and can be easily adapted to use any wool.

Anonymous
    January 30, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Beautiful hat! I usually knit hats in the round (circular needles). The instructions for this is for straight needles and sewing the sides together. I'm going to try it my way…first. Have any of you knitted it in the round?

Alexandra Richards
    January 21, 2016 at 9:16 pm

This is a beautiful hat, and seems like such a warm and fun accessory to have in the cold season. I found you via AllFreeKnitting, and am now a new fan 🙂 Going to order me some Butterfly Yarn now! And learn to knit.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

Avocet Jules
    November 10, 2016 at 7:42 pm

This is the first time that I have knitted a hat!

Thank you! The instructions were really clear and easy to follow.

I decide to use 2 strands of different coloured chunky yarn on 10mm needles and I am pleased with the result!

virginia truedson
    February 13, 2017 at 4:22 am

I thought the pattern was really easy for a beginner… My only suggestion is to leave a longer tail because I almost didn't have enough and I had left a longer tail…..