Slow Cooker Vegan Creamy Tortilla Soup- a hearty and delicious plant-based take on Tortilla Soup that takes minutes to prep!
This soup is one of my cold-weather favorites! The addition of coconut milk really separates this from traditional tortilla soup. It has a wonderful creamy texture that enhances the flavors. I added red lentils to kick the protein up a notch. Baked, sliced corn tortillas add just the right amount of crisp.
I’m not a fan of anything spicy, but if you are, you can add 1 jalapeño and/or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to the recipe.
Slow Cooker Vegan Creamy Tortilla Soup
You will need:
Full fat coconut milk (reduced fat will work too, but full fat tastes much better!)
Black beans (can)
Corn kernels (can)
Fire-roasted tomatoes (can) Make sure you get fire-roasted- the flavors are perfect for this recipe!
Red lentils (Make sure you use red, not brown or green)
Low sodium vegetable stock
Spices (cumin, salt, pepper)
- 1 15.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15.5 oz can corn kernels (drained)
- 1 15.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry red lentils
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Corn tortillas
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime, red onion, and cilantro to garnish
- Add all ingredients (except the corn tortillas) to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- To make the tortillas: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the tortillas into thin slices. Bake for 3 minutes. Flip the tortillas over and bake for an additional 3 minutes.
- Top the soup with baked tortilla chips and garnishes.
Add the black beans (rinsed and drained), coconut milk, red lentils, chopped yellow onion, can of corn (drained), fire-roasted tomatoes, vegetable stock, minced garlic, and spices to the slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
To make the tortillas:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the corn tortillas into narrow strips and place on the sheet. Bake for 3 minutes then turn them over. Bake for an additional 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the baked tortilla chips on top of the soup and garnish with a chopped red onion, a lime wedge and cilantro.
Looking for more Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes?
For more recipes, please visit my vegan cooking blog, 10 Ingredient Vegan.