Instagram

Uncategorized

Ear Flap Hat [knitting pattern]

December 10, 2013
This is my new favorite hat! The knitting pattern I made is below. The large needles and thick yarn mean that you can knit this hat in an evening.

Size US 13 knitting needles
Yarn- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (1 Skein)
Free Knitting Pattern-
HAT
Cast on 48 stitches
Rows 1-26: Work 26 rows in k2, p2 Rib.
Row 27 (Dec Row): *K2, p2, k2, p2tog; rep from * across row
Row 28: *K1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 29 (Dec Row): *k2, p2tog, k2, p1; rep from * across row
Row 30: *K1, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 31: *K1, k2tog; rep from * across row
Cut yarn, leaving an 8 in. tail. Thread tail through stitches of last row and pull to secure. Use the tail to sew the side seam together.

EARFLAP (make 2)
Cast on 10 stitches. Work 5 rows in Garter stitch
Row 6 (Dec Row): K2tog, k6, k2tog – 8 sts.
Rows 7 and 8: Knit.
Rep last 3 rows twice – 4 sts.
Next Row: K1, k2tog, k1.
Rep last row once – 2 sts. Bind off.

FINISHING
Braids (make 2)

Cut 3 lengths of yarn, each 20 inches. Pull through the ends of the ear flap and fold over in the middle so you have 6 equal length strands. Divide into 3 sections and braid. Make a knot at the bottom. Trim ends.
Fold up 3 1/2 in. for brim. Sew Earflaps to sides of hat.
Make pom pom and tie on to top of hat. Weave in ends.

Andrea Vytlačilová
    December 10, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Loving your fish tail braids! 🙂

ANDREA VYTLACILOVA blog

Vintage Vixen
    December 11, 2013 at 12:00 am

LOVE the hat!!!

Michelle Evans
    December 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Fantastic hat! That color looks lovely with your red hair!

Laura
    December 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Cute hat! I love your hair also. =)

Anonymous
    December 14, 2013 at 1:21 am

Is this knit in the round?

Katie
    December 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Such a great and easy pattern! I just made this hat, without the earflaps, in just over an hour. I love it, thanks!

Anonymous
    December 30, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Cute hat….. I would like to make a smaller version for a puppy . Any suggestions on what size yarn and needles?

Unknown
    January 16, 2014 at 4:32 am

Hello! I made this for my husband. He picked out this chunky yarn 7 years ago, I've been trying to figure out what to knit with it (he wanted a hat) until I saw your pattern, I haven't touched the yarn. I started it yesterday, finished up up today, plus I had already made him a scarf using the same yarn, with the same ribbing a couple of months ago. He didn't want the ear flaps, so no ear flaps or a pompous. (I also did this hat on size 11 circular needles, casted on 49 stitches, when you join the two ends you do the first 1st & 49th stitch. It turned out super cute & easy. I will be making a second 1 for myself out of crimson & grey for myself & a matching scarf.

Sandie
    January 27, 2014 at 4:09 pm

is there an update because somewhere along I changed my numbers on the pattern and I dont recall why. Where you 48 stitches I have put 56 on rows 27 and 29 I have 42 stitches. for the earflap I changed it from 5 rows to 4 rows and made the row 5 the dec. row and rows 6 and 7 knit. if there werent any changes please let me know asap as I would love it for this horrible cold weather that we have now.

Gina Michele
      January 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hi Sandie- There haven't been any changes made to the pattern since I posted it.

Monica S
    March 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I'm going to give this a try! I thought you had to use a circle loom, or circle needles to make a hat! This great if I can get it figured out. 🙂 Thanks for sharing

Anonymous
    March 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Do you have any newsboy hat knitting patterns???

Gina Michele
      March 14, 2014 at 12:08 am

Not yet, but I'm working on it. I hope to have the pattern posted in the next week or so.

Elvenpath
    June 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I _LOVE_ this pattern. I just started to make a bit modified version of it. We don't have size 13 (9mm European needles) here in Finland, so I had to take the closest to that and change the amount of stiches a bit. I'll post you a link to my hat when I finish it.

Elvenpath
    June 17, 2014 at 1:13 pm

http://haltiapolku.blogspot.fi/2014/06/ear-flap-hat.html?m=1 my hat in my blog. :3