Best Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes- Soft and perfectly spiced cupcakes topped with vegan cream cheese icing.
Carrot cake is the ultimate spring treat, and it's even more fun in cupcake form! These cupcakes are light, soft, and filled with grated carrots and walnuts for a hint of crunch. These perfectly spiced cupcakes are topped with a vegan cream cheese frosting. You'll never guess that these cupcakes are dairy and egg-free!
This mixture is made in one bowl and I used a food processor to chop the carrots and walnuts (separately) which is a big time-saver!
Best Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- For the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup vegan butter, slightly softened to room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar (more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place liners in cupcake pan.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk.
- Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce, almond milk, and vanilla and combine using a spoon.
- Grate the carrots or chop them up in a food processor. Fold them into the batter.
- Chop the walnuts by hand or using a food processor. Fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcakes liners until they are ¾ full. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool thoroughly before frosting.
To make the frosting:
In a medium bowl, add the vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Beat using a hand or stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing as you go.
Spread or pipe onto the cupcakes. Top with crushed walnuts.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan. In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract and stir.
Shred the carrots using either a grater or a food processor. Fold the carrots into the batter. Chop the walnuts by hand or using a food processor. Fold into the batter.
Pour the batter into the lined cupcake pan until they are ¾ full. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
Once the cupcakes are thoroughly cooled, it's time to frost them! In a medium bowl, add the softened vegan butter, cream cheese, and pure vanilla extract. Beat using a stand or hand mixer until creamy. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing as you go. Once all the sugar is incorporated, apply the frosting using a piping bag, or simply spread it on. Top with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts.
Looking for more Vegan Dessert Recipes?
For more Vegan recipes please visit my cooking blog, 10 Ingredient Vegan.