Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash- an easy plant-based meal that’s big on taste!
Now is the perfect time to take advantage of all the winter squash at the farm stands and grocery stores! Butternut squash is delicious, versatile, and nutritious. One serving has more than 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin A. It’s also a good source of fiber and it has minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
Butternut squash is great on its own, but it’s even better stuffed! This dish features seasoned black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, quinoa, and corn.
Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash
This recipe is a breeze to make thanks to the canned black beans and corn!
First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet. Carefully cut the butternut squash in half and clean out the seeds. Place the squash face down on the baking sheet and cook for 40-45 minutes or until the flesh is tender. Remove from oven.
While the squash is cooking add the quinoa and low-sodium vegetable stock to a saucepan. Stir together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low-medium heat. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, corn and spices into a skillet. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and stir.
Once the squash has cooked and cooled enough to handle, cut the inside flesh out, leaving a 1-inch border around the squash. Fill with the black bean and quinoa mixture, top with avocado and cilantro, and enjoy!
- 2 butternut squash
- 1/2 dry quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans
- 1 15.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 onion powder
- Garnish- avocado, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash face down on the baking sheet. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- While the squash is cooking, make the quinoa. Add the quinoa and vegetable stock to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium to simmer. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, corn, and spices. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the quinoa and remove from the heat.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to touch, hollow it out leaving a 1-inch border. Add the black bean mixture (you can add the scooped out squash or save it for another meal) and top with avocado and cilantro.
For more easy and delicious plant-based meals, please check out my food blog: 10 Ingredients Vegan
Looking for more easy Vegan Recipes?