It's strawberry season, and thanks to my veggie garden I have more berries than I know what to do with! Strawberry Shortcakes are the perfect summer indulgence, but I wanted to lighten it up a bit so I created these Vegan Strawberry & Coconut Shortcake Parfaits. Traditional strawberry shortcakes involves a lot of heavy cream. By substituting coconut whipped cream and "lite" coconut milk in the cake I was able to make this vegan...and totally delicious!
For the cake:
3 cups all purpose flour
½ cup organic granulated white sugar
i tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup pure maple syrup
¾ melted coconut oil
1 ½ cups canned lite coconut milk
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vanilla extract
For the parfait
Coconut whipped cream (I purchased this at a health food store- here's a recipe if you want to make your own)
2-3 cups fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8 inch pan
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and wisk.
3. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the dry.
4. Using a mixer, beat on low.
5. Pour into the cake pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Let cool and then cut into small 2x2 inch squares
To assemble the parfait:
1. Add a layer of cake on the bottom of the glass.
2. Add a layer of strawberries and top with coconut whipped cream.
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";
amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true";
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "croche085-20";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "f42f5b8700e4925ae9a9ae1db8f298e5";
amzn_assoc_asins = "B00OZYNGUS,145490559X,B01NAMVLMB,B003XU3C7M";