Living in an oceanside town means that I spend a lot of time at the beach! There’s also countless dips in the pool and outdoor activities like BBQs, farmer’s markets and window shopping around town. All this sun, salt and chlorine makes for a fun summer, but it also makes for damaged hair! Now, I’m certainly not going to hide out indoors or avoid fun activities for the sake of my hair’s health, but there are measures I take to stop damage in its tracks. I teamed up with Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner to share my Summer Tips for Healthy Hair. Dove Intensive Repair works to repair hair and stop 90% of hair damage before it happens. The old saying is true- “Prevention is the best cure”!
1. Air dry– I’m not giving up my blow dryer anytime soon so I can’t recommend that you do! To reduce damage I wait until my hair is 80% air dry before I break out the blow dryer. Not only does this minimize the damage, it cuts down on styling time. I’m also a big fan of no-heat waves which I create by twisting my hair into buns.
2. Cover up– We all know that the sun damages our skin, but did you know it also damages your hair? Sun damage is caused by ultraviolet light, which breaks apart the melanin pigment in your hair. Excessive exposure to the sun can cause weak, dry and brittle hair. Reach for a hat (or a scarf for total St. Tropez vibes) next time you’re going to be outdoors.
3. Protect your scalp– When applying sunscreen, it’s so easy to forget your scalp. Apply sunscreen using a cotton swab before heading outdoors.
4. Avoid Chlorine/Salt Water– I wear my hair in a topknot when I go in the pool or the ocean and I don’t dunk my head. If you prefer to wet your hair, saturate it before you get in the water (either using a water bottle or beach shower) and comb through a bit of conditioner like Dove Intensive Repair. Hair that’s already wet will absorb less chlorine/salt from the pool or ocean. Bonus? The conditioner will keep your hair from knotting.
5. Rinse off– If you do get your hair wet at the beach or the pool, be sure to rinse it out as soon as you get out of the water. This step is especially important for those with color treated hair. I’m sure we all know someone who had their blonde highlights turn green from Chlorine!
6. Repair your hair– Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner stops damage before it starts. It contains Keratin Repair Actives which help repair damaged protein structures in your hair. One of the things I love about Dove is that they make quality products at an affordable price. The Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner left my hair feeling smooth with no heavy residue.