Instagram

Uncategorized

rebecca minkoff runway braids tutorial (spring 2014 fashion week)

September 11, 2013

As soon as I saw this style at Rebecca Minkoff’s Spring 2014 runway show I knew I had to re-create it! “Milkmaid” braids have been popular for a few years now, but I think using a 4 strand braid (instead of 3) makes it look fresh and more interesting.

To learn how to make a 4 strand braid check out this tutorial.

[Gently backcomb the hair at the crown of your head to add volume]
[Divide hair into 2 equal sections and make two 4 strand braids. Secure with small elastics]
[Bring one of the braids across the front of your head and pin in place]
[Repeat with the other braid. If the ends of the braids are sticking out, weave them into your hair and pin down]

BlackKitty
    September 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I can never get milkmaid braids to sit right 🙁 My hair is impossibly thick and the base of my braids stick out like Princess Leia buns. Do you have any tips on how to pin that part to make it stay in place and lie flat against the head? I can only use bun pins; bobby pins are utterly hopeless against my hair. The 4-strand is a good idea though, it should result in a flatter, more obedient braid.

Gina Michele
      September 12, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I've found that if I keep the braids slightly loose at the base it won't do that weird sticking out thing. Also, you might want to try making the braids closer towards the back of your head and not directly on the side. That way if it still sticks out at least it will be in the back and not directly on the side causing that Princess Leia effect =)

BlackKitty
      November 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

For some reason your blog stopped appearing in my feed once you changed the name (although blogger displayed the new one in the reading list!). I'm so glad you're still writing! I came by to point out that you should change the 4-strand tutorial to the correct one "http://www.gina-michele.com/2011/10/4-strand-french-braid-tutorial.html", as the old link "http://www.rockmosaic.com/2011/10/4-strand-french-braid-tutorial.html" doesn't work. Maybe there are other places where you need to update too, apparently they don't redirect automatically.

Gina Michele
      November 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know! I just fixed the link.

Vintage Vixen