|[dress: reconstructed vintage, shoes top pic: Marc Jacobs, boots bottom pic: Ash]|
This post kicks off a new series I’m doing on reconstructing vintage clothing. Learning how to alter clothing takes thrift shopping to a whole other level! You start to see the potential in clothing instead of just taking it at face value.
I purchased this floral dress because I liked the color/print and the fabric was wonderfully soft, lightweight cotton. The shape though left a lot to be desired.
Here’s what I did:
|[The first thing I did was cut 12 inches off the hem. I cut 4 inches from the bottom part of this piece and reattached it to this dress. This creates a contrasting hem]|
|[Next, I took the drawstring casing and ironed down 1/2 inch on both long sides and 1 inch at each end]|
|[Then I pinned the casing on top of the waistband]|
|[I sewed the casing on both sides]|
|[I created the drawstring tie by taking a long strip of fabric (2 inches wide) and sewing it all around. I sew on the wrong sides of the fabric and left a small slit so I could turn the tie inside out]|
|[The last thing I did was attach a safety pin to the end of the tie and feed it through the casing]|